The Nagase R&D Center serves to provide biotechnology research and development functions for the NAGASE Group as a whole, bridging the NAGASE Group trading company and manufacturing hybrid business model. Our mission is to develop proprietary actinomycetes technologies to bring safe, secure, eco-friendly chemicals and materials to fruition through biotechnology process innovation. In doing so, the Center will continue to create the seeds of new businesses not yet conceived of in our current operations. The watchwords of the R&D Center are “unique, independent, and innovative.” Guided by this motto, we pursue research and development activities that provide value to both NAGASE Group affiliated companies and our customers. This type of value is distinctive of the research and development function within the traditional trading company model.
- Proprietary biotechnology development functions integrating advanced technologies and academic knowledge across a wide range of fields (N-STePP™: Nagase Streptomyces Technology for Precious Products)
- Planning and development functions leading to new businesses that make possible the use of biotechnologies for efficient production of valuable materials with low environmental impact (Field: Biochemicals, functional materials)
- External Biotechnology assessment and adoption functions
We develop proprietary actinomycetes technologies to bring safe, secure, eco-friendly chemicals and materials to fruition through biotechnology process innovation.
Achievements in Fiscal 2016
- Discovery of a method to improve substance productivity by new microorganisms (patented)
- Development of a manufacturing method for functional material ferritin (patented)
- Production method for new cosmetic material using actinomycetes
- Academic presentation about the efficient production of UV-absorbing substance Shinorine via actinomycete streptomyces lividans
- Academic presentation about a method to improve substance productivity focusing on tRNA activity rates (Winner of the Hot Topic Award at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the Japan Society for Bioscience, Biotechnology and Agrochemistry)
Fiscal 2017 Strategies
The Nagase R&D Center is dedicated to creating a sustainable world where people live with peace of mind. To this end, we develop valueadded materials utilizing proprietary microorganisms, based on multidisciplinary fields in synthetic biology. At the same time, we continue to propose new ideas to commercialize these technologies, planting seeds that we hope will one day become new businesses. In fiscal 2017, we plan to strengthen ties with universities and outside research institutes in order to be able to take the lead in discovering seeds of new business, quickly conducting validation and feasibility studies of new concepts guided by surveys of customer needs. This will lead to the creation of even more new development concepts for our department to pursue. Further, we are aiming for the early achievement of technological milestones in functional material and components under development, working with development partners both in Japan and overseas.